Monday, August 17, 2009

Picky Eater

I never thought little Pj would be a picky eater. I just put things to his lips and he will give off a cough a couple times like it was the most disgusting thing that ever touched his pretty lips. Who would guess we bore a picky child when coming from Josh and I. But what do I do? Do I steal this little girl to force feed Preston or do I just let him eat cookies all day? Confused.

10 comments:

Coleman Family said...

I have got the same problem (well, I don't have the little girl to force feed Landon), and it is so frustrating!! The only healthy things I can get him to eat are cottage cheese, yogurt, and bananas. He absolutely hates vegetables. Good luck!! Let me know if you learn any secrets! : )

petersons said...

What I do with Grant is I put him in a high chair and let him watch his favorite show while I feed him and it works. I know it's not a good idea but at least it gets him to eat. I'm sure he'll get over the stage of not wanting to eat because I remember Grant doing the same at that age. So hang in there Sarah :)

snow family said...

I say cookies never hurt anyone.... :) Or you could grind up veggies and bake them to look like cookies, but that seems like a lot of work!

Jim Teare said...

The Teare family is notorious for having picky eaters. It's in the genes, it just skips around a bit. There is so much stuff out there that can be toxic (white sauce = slime according to a younger Cody) and we are very careful about what we put in our mouths. Ask Ylfelynn about here boys, ask Cody about his limited diet when he was younger before his mission where he ate squirrel and possum. Preston is just exhititing the wisdom of choosing what he takes into his body. Remember not to challange his "agency". Cookies, candy, chocolate, etc. are an important part (which part, I don't know) of the food chain (pyramid?). This is the day of snack food, junk food and fast food and to be politically correce we need to follow the crowd. See, great advice from his grandfather!!!?!!!

Lacey said...

I LOVE that picture! So cute! I have a picky eater too....I give him vitamins and try not to stress too much about it.

Lacey said...

My mother in law grinds up veggies and puts them in things like banana bread, muffins...have you ever heard of applesauce cookies?

dave, catie, and baby b. said...

What a cute pic!
I usually have
To trick b by
Making him
Laugh then
Quickly shoving
A spoonful of
Food in his mouth...
Ahh motherhood
Love it!

Catie p.

Paige said...

Nicholas used to be a semi-picky eater. I have to say the main thing you can do to help is to be consistent and persistent in only feeding them good things at certain times. For Nicholas the key is not to have him snacking during non-meal times, then he is more hungry for lunch/dinner. Also, if he wont eat what I've prepared I get him down and we try it again later. Its hard sometimes to be strict when they are hungry but eventually they will eat it. Now I'm reaping the benefits, because I can simply put him in his chair with whatever meal and he'll eat it!! He's become a good eater.
Also, sneaking things in doesn't hurt!!

Ylfe said...

Yes, I will agree with Dad Teare. The Teare genes do produce some picky eaters! Goodness knows I've had my frustrations with it!

Christine and Brennan Platt said...

Try http://www.deceptivelydelicious.com. I use Jessica's cookbook. I don't use everything, but the sweet potato pancakes and french toast has been a hit with my kids. I cut out regular sweet treats for awhile (3 months) and tried her brownies and the chick pea chocolate chip cookies. If Garrett sees veggies he self induces vomiting. Many of her recipes have successfully gotten Garrett to eat vegetables (fully digest them). I also always have fruit on hand (berries, apples, and bananas. We schedule snack time at 10am and 3pm and I will only put out healthy snacks. I don't make a big deal of the food, it just "happens" to be on the table if they are hungry.

Also, I have a random questions, who was your OBGYN? I need to find one. Please email me if you have any good suggestions. Thanks!
kunzchristine@hotmail.com

Josh, Sarah, and Preston Teare

Josh, Sarah, and Preston Teare