Sina
Olsen Ackroyd. My great grandmother
I was able to read a about my great grandmother Sina Olsen
Ackroyd. I have to tell you the first
paragraph that she wrote on her autobiography.
“Autobiography is a very self-consious effort. You dare not make much of your success for
fear it will savour of bragging, likewise you minimize your failures so people
will not think too ill of you, so rather than consider this an autobiography
think of it as a few of the happenings that I encountered on my journey through
life.” I find this paragraph astounding
because I realize that my mother is very modest in her life too. My mother would probably write the same
thing. It is so interesting to see these
characteristics being passed down. I
also stumbled on an interesting fact that she sucked her thumb and was left
-handed. This was only paragraph two and
I find this part fascinating because I sucked my thumb and was left-thumb. My daughter, Charlotte who is only 2 months
old, is also trying to suck her thumb on her left hand. This is so fun!
There is a story I have to mention because it makes me cringe
and I don’t think I can be as brave as my great-great grandmother. Sina and her brother Chris were playing with
the feed chopper. Sina put her hand in
the chopper and her brother turned the wheel catching her hand twice through
the chopper. Sina’s mother put her on
her lap and covered Sina’s eyes with her apron and cut off her fourth finger
using her husband’s razor. I am amazed
that her mother was able to do that because I could not keep my cool when red
ants were crawling all over my Preston.
These ladies had some courage to deal with things on their own and do
the best they could possibly do.
Sina must have been such a wonderful mother. My grandmother, Clara had nothing ill to
speak about her mother. Apparently
Sina’s husband died leaving her to care for 8 children with only one of them
was married. Their family survived since
she knew how to live a provident living for them. Clara wrote about they survived which was
growing everything they needed in life.
They even had a bee farm. They
had to get rid of the bee farm when Sina kept getting more allergic with each
sting she got. One time she turned blue
and had the boys help her and by miracle and faith she survived. My grandmother asked how she was ever able
to sleep with all of her responsibilities and she stated that when her head hit
the pillow she would go right to sleep.
I love her closing statement regarding her grandchildren, “As
I look them over I can see both physical and mental characteristics of my own
cropping out in each of them, so here is a sobering thought, these characteristics,
for good or evil will be handed down eternally.
Pray God most of them may be for good.”
My grandmother, Clara was with her as she passed away.
No comments:
Post a Comment